Wednesday 30 November 2011

Pepernoten

December, 1st

I can not believe it is already the first of December ! It is surreal, sitting here on the verandah, in the tropical heat, surrounded by yellow flowers of the acacias, and the sound of tropical birds, which I have got to know over the months I have been here, knowing that in a few weeks time we I will be back in Europe, celebrating Christmas with everybody!!!
So much has to happen before that time !!! The Dissertation, which weighs heavy on my mind,will be finished. On Monday, Dec. 5th, in stead of eating 'pepernoten' and celebrating the feast of the Holy Saint Nicolaas, which is tradition in Holland, I will be preparing the exhibition in the Kampala Museum . The Touch -Cabinet is finished, apart from the last layer of varnish, and I will be able to collect it tomorrow. So exciting !!!All I have to do is line the drawers with interesting African Material. Batik is not African, but originally Indonesian, in spite of being also called 'Dutch Wax-printed cloth. Shonibare is an African-British artist who uses this as an key-material. The cloth was brought into Africa , where it was adopted and, consequently reclaimed as being 'African fabrics'.
It then found its way back into Europe. I think this is an interesting example of 'material diaspora'!!!

Tomorrow I will also revisit the school , to pick up the fired clay-pieces, hoping that they all survived the process, and to check on the students ,to see what the produced posters look like. I will then also arrange the time to meet up with the small group of people who will be assisting me at the event. It all seems to be coming together !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment