Friday 25 November 2011

The Journey/ seselelame

The tropical rain is very heavy today. For some reason i can't access my old blog anymore !
Does that mean I have to start to tell my story all over again ?!
About my touch -project, and the work I am doing in the Michelangelo school of art ?
I will just refer to my old blog for that ( http://teatraveltien.blogspot.com)
I was reading  something very interesting in' The Empire of the senses '(ED. David Howes), in chapter nine, about a West African Theory of embodiment.
Athough the phenomena 'how we know what we know' is articulated by the Anlo-Ewe people in West Africa,
it describes accurately what happened at the work shop.As Katrhryn Linn Geurts claims that 'many Anlo- Ewe
speakers translate the term seselelame into English as 'feeling of the body'the flesh or the skin,Ewe Liguist Felix Ameka has confirmed that the phrase se-se-le-la-me can be used to translate both emotion and sense perception , and that lower level terms for various experiences in Ewe, like the subordinate level 'seseleame'
do not distinguise between emotion , sensation, perception, cognition, etc.
Instead, there are components that link to a bundle of these things at one and the same time' (Ameka 2002:44-5.

Now I am wondering , Is there such word that describes these 'feeling in the body ' in Bugandan ? The most commonly spoken language in the area where I am ?

No comments:

Post a Comment