Friday 9 December 2011

Touch-Cabinet


7th of December

I have decided to donate the Cabinet to the Museum for various reasons .
I feel the need to make a strong statement. This cannot be made in a few weeks. The Touch Cabinet is a symbol for the advocacy of more tactile interaction in the museum. I have informed the workers in the museum, so that, long after I am gone , they will be able to explain to the visitors what the meaning is. It is also an organic project;I explained that the cabinet is a vehicle for other interesting objects, which visitors can put in the drawers, taking out the existing artefacts.(swap one artefact for a new one ? ) This way the Cabinet will always be new and exciting. The project is about tactility and interaction. Having an experience in the museum, rather than just observing.
In order to explain the idea in a tactile way, I have asked Mark, the carpenter to make a miniature version , which I can bring back to Northern Ireland, for the exhibition there. I will bring one object, made by Francis ,back , in order to preserve continuation with the African artefacts. I will also bring the baboon head, since the creation of this is part of the footage I will be shown.
When I told the two girls who work in the museum that the Cabinet is a donation, they spontaneously burst out in a dance, which is , in a fluke of serendipity, captured on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment